Saturday 26 May 2007

Why move?

Prompted by the advent of Vista which requires 1Gb of RAM just to run the GUI properly (to get the "wow!" factor that Microsoft was so keen to promote) I have decided that I should work out if I can migrate to Linux.
This is the the record of my attempt. If anyone else is reading this, all suggestions and advice will be gratefully received.

Why bother?
1. Just the thought of Windows Vista gives me the heebie-jeebies!
2. Nostalgia - I used Unix professionally for many years.
3. I'm a reactionary b#st#rd who resents large corporations taking over my life and/or extracting large amounts of cash from my wallet. As there are many, excellent, cheap, or even free, programs available for Windows it's the taking over of my life that I hate the most.

So, here goes...

No comments: